The Avoca Free Library was organized & chartered in 1915. In the beginning the collection was housed in various local businesses.
In 1938 the library purchased a district school house for $75. It was moved to Griswold Street on a flat bed truck where it served as a designated library. Rev. J.R. Fraser served as the first librarian.
In 2006 , due to space limitations and with the help of the Avoca Central School, the library moved to 18 N. Main ST.